Sustainability and other ESG considerations are an increasingly important part of real estate investment decisions. PREA is pleased to provide members with materials to keep up to date on trends and issues in this important area.
Sustainability documents are available to members only.
PREA Quarterly, recent articles:
- From Virtue to Value: The Evolution of ESG in Real Estate, Winter 2018
- The Renewable Energy Sector: A Discussion of the Major Contributors to Renewable Energy Growth, Fall 2017
- Buildings and Health: All Buzz or a New Megatrend?, Summer 2017
- ESG: Sustainable Investing for the Long Term, Spring 2017
- The Paris Climate Agreement: How Real Asset Owners Can Position Themselves For the New World of Climate-Smart Investment Opportunities, Winter 2016
- The Broad View: Perspectives on Investing Responsibly, Summer 2014
- Sustainability in Commercial Real Estate: A PREA Roundtable Discussion, Summer 2014
- Catalyzing Industry Change: Real Estate Sustainability Associations, Summer 2014
Journal of Portfolio Management, special real estate issue:
- Environmental Performance of Commercial Real Estate: New Insights into Energy Efficiency Improvements, 2019
- Green Certification and Building Performance: Implications for Tangibles and Intangibles, 2015
PREA is proud to be an affiliate of the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Better Buildings Alliance. The list below highlights PREA members who have sustainability Implementation Models highlighted by the Better Buildings program. The links provide a description of the energy efficiency barrier that the member is focused on, the solution that was developed, and the outcome that followed, along with methods of measuring success, and tools and resources for others that may want to adapt the process or implement similar initiatives. PREA congratulates these members on being highlighted by Better Buildings, and on their work developing more sustainable real estate portfolios. We look forward to seeing the list of PREA members involved in the Alliance grow in the future.
Better Buildings Implementation Models by PREA Members
- Jamestown, L.P.: Improving Portfolio Energy Performance Using an EMIS Checklist
- CommonWealth Partners: Impacting Energy Use Through Tenant Engagement
- DWS: Project Energy Saver
- Lendlease: Understanding Resident Energy Behavior Through Building Energy Management Systems
- Prologis: Accessing Tenant Utility Data in Triple-Net Leased Buildings
- Nuveen: Data Update and Certification Scorecard
- Nuveen: Setting Mini-Goals to Reach Mega-Goals: Property Energy Target (PET) Program
- Transwestern: Good, Better…Best Standards of Sustainability
- USAA Real Estate: Building Upgrade Value Calculator
Better Buildings provides many other tools and resources that can assist real estate investors in meeting their sustainability goals, see the Better Buildings Solution Center for more information. We encourage all PREA members to become involved in order to help lead the way in promoting a more sustainable real estate investment industry. Better Buildings partners commit to set a multiyear, portfolio-wide energy-savings goal of 2% annually and work with DOE to share success strategies through published case studies. If you are interested in joining the program, go here.